Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Are religious groups keeping up with the problem?

I'm at the end of my rope. There are no options left. No one wants to help.

Ok that's not entirely true...

One or two local charities want to help. Individuals sometimes want to help. Isolated church groups want to help and indeed are helping. Over the last few years we've seen an increase in church groups offering solutions to the hurting people in Kuwait - working with labourers, getting supplies together for the camps, in preparation for the cold wintertimes, providing options for maids.

Since I am not a Muslim, I don't know much about what's going on in Islamic religious circles. Is this a hot topic, is it being handled by Islamic charities, is it being spoken of in mosques so that devout men are more aware and concerned? People who believe that this is morally and religiously wrong should actively be going out and working to better things. If anyone has any knowledge of what's going on, please do let me know.

But you know what, credit should go to the Red Crescent. I have seen them hard at work at Al Razi hospital in the maids wards. I even stood as one of the nurses related a story of a raped maid to me and a girl from the Red Crescent. We both shook our heads in horror at what was being said. Coming from two completely different backgrounds and with different beliefs, we were still on the same page.

And don't tell me that a person has to believe in something to feel compassion for a human being. Secular society is more than able to take on this task. So where is everyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally haven't heard it mentioned as part of a sermon. In any case, you cannot generalize and go "How does Islam handle it?" since we're different as Muslims.

I am not religious yet have had dad sermonize about maid treatment. And I have seen devout friends whose parents were intent on ensuring that their maids get the same amount of respect that they award their children.

But I think I see your general point. Are Muslim institutions incorporating treatment of maids into their agendas? To tell you the truth, I don't know although I think the answer may be no. Unfortunately, they seem to be more keen on what people wear and whether they pray/fast or not. Something along these lines.

Our "Islamic" preachers leave out crucial things like the importance of doing well at school, not cheating, holding the government accountable, having moms raise their own kids, and treating maids well.

Thank you for this post as well.

Unknown said...

Understood. I apologise for any misphrased statements.

While it is encouraging to hear that in the home it sometimes happen that people are aware of these things, it is disheartening to think that maid abuse, which obviously is a big deal in Kuwait, might not be getting the attention it needs from the pulpit and religious circles.

I do encourage any of you that do attend mosque, or know religious figures or people - to bring it up with others, to get the word out. I'm not sure but wouldnt it make a difference if religious leaders were talking about the evil of abuse? Wouldnt that at least make a dent in the way society sees it?

I think so

Anonymous said...

It's me again. By the way it's always me Nabeel. Damn this continuous insistence on turning the other way, in terms of other bloggers I mean.

Some people perceive maid abuse as wrong based on religious reasons (understandably so since no religion tolerates this sort of abuse against the defenseless).

I perceive it in terms of humanity and reason. Both roads are okay to live by since they ensure we treat house maids as human beings instead of as people who had it coming.

Keep up the good work Nabeel. I hope you are big enough to forgive us since so many of us are still blind.

And I do bring it up every chance I get.

Hal Anta Moslem? said...

Sorry to rant off post. With a name such as yours, I'm guessing you are born a Muslim except you are not a practising Muslim any longer. Aren't I right?
Any way which it's good to know you are a born again Good Samaritan first and that's what matters most really.